Thursday, February 25, 2010

Cheyenne

Well, the first challenge of 2010 didn't take too long to arrive.
A few weeks ago, my great dane Cheyenne was diagnosed with lymphoma. It was devastating news to hear, and happened so suddenly. She is such a great dog. Not only is she my first dog that I have ever shared my life with, but she's helped me out during some tough times. She especially helps my mom out, seeming to know that she needs a little extra support and helps to keep her active. We ran some tests after the initial diagnosis, and I wasted no time getting an appointment with an oncologist. She has been diagnosed with B-cell type lymphoma. If there is such a thing as "a better lymphoma to have", this would be it. It's one of the types that can be put into remission with the help of chemotherapy. Sometimes, it can give pets up to a year or more. The choice to put her through chemotherapy was made, and hopefully we can give her some more time. We seem to have caught it a bit early, so that helps. She had her first chemo treatment this past Tuesday, and it went well. So far, she's doing well, with few side effects. Hopefully that stays the norm. I'll keep this updated as far as her progress goes, along with some photos. You would never guess she was sick, because she still acts like a goofy little puppy :) Thanks to everyone for their warm wishes and support, and for lending an ear. It makes everything a bit easier to handle.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

I'm wishing Cheyenne the best with her treatment! I hope it goes as well as it can!
And I'm sure I speak for your other Heights friends when I say we're always here for you, JT!